You are using an outdated browser. For a faster, safer browsing experience, upgrade for free today.


If a debt you owe is canceled or forgiven, you must include the canceled amount in your income.

To avoid reporting this amount as income, the party who is owed the money may offer to forgive the debt as a gift to you.